WASHINGTON — A string of emails that has been provided to the State Department raises new questions about whether Hillary Rodham Clinton has accurately described her use of a personal account when she was secretary of state.
The chain, with emails from Jan. 10, 2009, to Feb. 1, 2009, was provided to the State Department by its inspector general and by the Defense Department, according to State Department officials.Continue reading the main storyVideo
Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democratic presidential candidate, said in two interviews that she was sorry for using two email addresses and a private server while she was secretary of state.By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS on Publish Date September 9, 2015. Photo by Charlie Neibergall/Associated Press. Watch in Times Video »
A spokesman for her presidential campaign declined to comment.
Six months after it was revealed that Mrs. Clinton relied exclusively on a personal email account when she was secretary of state, the issue continues to cause distractions for her campaign. In polls, voters have questioned her trustworthiness, and in Iowa and New Hampshire she trails Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont in the race for the Democratic nomination.
In a statement filed under oath in federal court in August, Mrs. Clinton said she had given the State Department all of the work-related emails on the personal account. “I have directed that all my emails on clintonemail.com in my custody that were or potentially were federal records be provided to the Department of State, and on information and belief, this has been done,” Mrs. Clinton said in the filing.
But the State Department had said in June that all or part of 15 work-related emails sent or received by Mrs. Clinton were not among the emails she gave to the department last year.
The State Department also said on Friday that it had informed the House committee investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, that it would give the panel 925 emails about Libya that Mrs. Clinton sent or received from January 2011 to December 2012.
In February, the department gave the panel 296 emails related to the attacks.
“The State Department has previously informed both the committee and the public that we had not provided all materials relating to Libya,” the State Department said in a statement. “The department instead focused on providing the Benghazi committee first with the 296 emails that directly pertained to the 2012 attacks in Benghazi. The documents provided today do not alter the fundamental facts known about the Benghazi attacks.”
Some Republicans perceived the production of the emails as an effort by Eric Snyder, a former Justice Department official who is now in charge of the State Department’s efforts to turn over documents to the committee, to establish a better relationship with the panel. Republicans had criticized Mr. Snyder’s predecessor, Catherine Duval, saying that she was holding back on documents.
A spokesman for the State Department, Alec Gerlach, rejected that assertion, arguing that in the last month that Ms. Duval worked at the State Department, it provided the committee with 20,000 pages of documents and began reviewing more of Mrs. Clinton’s emails to hand over to the committee.
Read more http://rss.nytimes.com/c/34625/f/640350/s/4a2d86ab/sc/7/l/0L0Snytimes0N0C20A150C0A90C260Cus0Cpolitics0Cstring0Eof0Eemails0Eraises0Equestions0Eabout0Ewhen0Ehillary0Eclinton0Ebegan0Eusing0Epersonal0Eaccount0Bhtml0Dpartner0Frss0Gemc0Frss/story01.htm